[Bristol-Birds] Unusual Red-tailed Hawks

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:50:08 -0800 (PST)

I took these photos of 2 Red-tailed Hawks on November 15,2009. It was near
Stuarts Pond in Rosedale, Russell County Virginia. I was driving along Rt 19
when I saw 2 raptors sitting in  small tree in a pasturefield. They appeared
darker than the normal Red-tailed Hawks in this area. I turned around and came
back and one flew and I was able to see the bright red tail. The other still
sat in the tree. I took some photos before ha one flew also. I did not get
around to downloading these until today. After looking at them I did some
research in Sibleys and Wheeler and Clarks Raptors. The closest I can come to
identifying them is western Red-tailed Hawks or the Canada race which shows
some characteristics of the western race.
If anyone has any better ID please let me know. The photos are at the following
link

http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/red-tailed_hawk

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club