[Bristol-Birds] Trumpeter Swan identified at Abingdon, VA (with photos)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:46:23 -0400

Trumpeter Swan
US 19
Abingdon, VA

The Pond is located on the west side of US 19 (Porterfield Highway)
approximately 1/2 mile north of the junction of Rt # 11 (Main Street).  Going
north on Porterfield Highway turn left on Wolf Creek Trail. The pond is located
almost next to the highway.

The swan was actively feeding on aquatic plants and seemed tolerant of visitors
who came by to marvel at it.  There was no sign of a wing tag on this bird.
Juvenile gray tinting of feathers was quite prominent. it is a big bird! Joann
Detta and Marty Huber (I have probably misspelled their names) had seen the
bird several days before my sighting this evening.  My wife, Helen, took a lot
of photos but we did not have a zoom lens on our camera.  I am optimistic that
other birders can see this bird if they come in the near future.  Please be
careful where you park as this pond is privately owned and there are several
homes nearby.

Ed Morgan,
Abingdon, VA

Photo by Helen & Ed Morgan, 26 March 2007, 6:40 p.m.

JPEG image