[Bristol-Birds] Tree Swallow, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:13:23 -0400 (EDT)

July 31, 2009

I observed 2852 Tree Swallows in a very brief trip to western Greene County
this evening. This is an unusually high total, but I wonder how many I would
have found if I had spent more time in the area. Flocks of dozens to hundreds
were abundant.

Also present were:

Wood Duck (2);

Great Egret (at Wal-Mart Distribution Center);

Eurasian Collared-Dove (on Main Street in Mosheim, about 0.3 mile west of Green
Bank; this spot is less than a mile from West Greene High School, but the
school is not visible from here; today is the 5th anniversary of Greene
County's first date for the species);

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (at Wal-Mart Distribution Center).

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN