[Bristol-Birds] Today's Bird Count

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 21:00:14 -0400

Hello birders!  Today the weather was very nice but the birding was somewhat
disappointing!  There were nine of us on the trip to South Holston River, the
Weir Dam, South Holston Lake and Middlebrook Lake.  The entire area was low in
birds in spite of a pretty day!  Today's list:  Canada Goose (50+), Mallard
(8), Great Blue Heron (3), Black Vulture (9), Turkey Vulture (4), Osprey (3),
Bald Eagle (1), Killdeer (1), Chimney Swift (6),
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1), Belted Kingfisher (1), Red-bellied Woodpecker
(1), Downy Woodpecker (1), Eastern Wood-Pewee (1), Red-
eyed Vireo (1), Blue Jay (4), American Crow (19),  Carolina Chickadee (2),
Carolina Wren (3),  American Robin (8),  Cedar Waxwing (1),
Black-and-white Warbler (1),  Yellow Warbler (2),  Yellow-throated Warbler (1),
Northern Cardinal (2),  and Red-winged Blackbird (1).  As you can see, our area
was very limited this day to 26 species in limited numbers!

However, we had a good group of birders and the group interaction was a lot of
fun!  This was our group:  Denise Hall, Nancy McPeak, Wallace Coffey, Faye
Wagers, Dick Moose, Judy Moose, Neal Henson, Jean Henson, and John Moyle.

Our next birding trip will be on October 11 to Steel Creek Park in Bristol.  We
will have a bird walk there and the Park will sponsor a series of additional
activities open to all!  More info will be published as the day is approached!
  John Moyle