[Bristol-Birds] Taylor Bend

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 22:20:06 -0500

Taylor Bend Jefferson County, 1/20/14, 2:30-5pm
Douglas Lake elevation: 955.5 ft.

Weather being too nice to split firewood, we decided to head out to the lake.
When it's not too muddy, the shoreline at Taylor Bend resembles a wild beach,
with miscellaneous worn geology, driftwood, odd artifacts - an interesting
mile-long hike to the hot spot.   We  saw our first Sandhill Cranes of the
season, and 3 shorebird species is pretty good for January.

Notable:
Northern Shoveler (5)
Hooded Merganser (38)
Great Blue Heron (172 - seems to be a big heronry in the woods above the bend)
Sandhill Crane (8)
Bald Eagle (3 imm)
Red-tailed Hawk, being mobbed by crows
Killdeer (55)
Least Sandpiper (4)
Dunlin (16)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

and Northeast Tennessee.