[Bristol-Birds] Re: [TN-Bird] What we learn from the Christmas Bird Counts (CBC)

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:56:20 -0800 (PST)

Thanks a lot to Rob for a good point.  CBCs are something that people
of ALL ability levels can help with.  There are some counts in MD,
NY, MA etc that have over 100 (!) participants each year.  talk about
lots of data!  they can map population trends well.

The web site Rob sent us is a trove of information.  When I travel
out of town during CBC season, I try to hook up with a count wherever
I'm going.  So I'll be doing on in Baton Rouge this year.  It is a
great opportunity to see a new place, meet new friends and help out.
Usually the coordinator will hook up an out-of-towner like me with a
local.

As for you folks who think you're not "experienced" enough, or "not a
good birder" well, maybe you're not Rick Knight or Jeff Wilson.  Well
we'd not get much done if we only let people of that ability level
count birds!  There aren't enough people of that caliber.  But you
can identify the stuff at your feeders, right?  All you need to do is
tell the compiler what you can do, and he or she will find an
appropriate location for you.

And if you're near me, I'd love a person or two to go along with me
as I do Norris this Saturday, or Smokies (lots of hiking) on Sunday.

Charlie

http://mail.yahoo.com