[Bristol-Birds] Re: [TN-Bird] Re: found pigeon

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "knoxmartin2@xxxxxxx" <knoxmartin2@xxxxxxx>, Michael Sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>, Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:47:54 -0500

I too had a similar experience.  I saw a banded pigeon a few years ago at a
state park in NJ.  It was feeding on the ground near the headquarters; one of
the caretakers saw me looking at it and remarked that it was a strange looking
gull (he was serious).  Any way, I went online and figured out the birding club
that the band came from and emailed them; I believe they were in Maryland.
Their leader emailed me back, said it belonged to one of their members and
hopefully the bird would find its way home.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville
To: mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx; tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: found pigeon
From: knoxmartin2@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:10:39 -0500

I can give you an example from my personal experience. Several years ago I
found a banded pigeon as well. Same type numbers. If I remember correctly the
first is the year (in your case 2012), the second the breeder. You probably
have a homing/racing pigeon. I tried for several days to find the owner of the
one I found, and when I finally did he told me to keep the bird. Since it was a
homing pigeon that did not know the way home he said he had no use for it. I
would suggest you save your time and trouble and if possible just release it
again. It will probably take up with local ground doves and do fine on its own.
It would probably be a good idea to remove the band if you can so the next
person who finds it will not go through the same routine as you did.

Knox Martin

Mid-South Raptor Center

Memphis, Shelby County, TN