[Bristol-Birds] Swainson's Warbler in Buchanan Co. VA

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:54:47 -0400

Area Birders,
My wife, Lynda, and I found our first Swainson's Warbler of the season
yesterday (4/25). It was heard in a Rhododendron thicket near a stream in the
next hollow north of Compton Mt known as Head of Slate Creek.
A Gray Catbird showed up here on the mt yesterday, but the first one of the
season in the immediate area was found by Lynda on Slate Creek on the 18th. Our
first of the season Rose-breasted Grosbeaks also appeared at our feeders
yesterday - two males.
Five Pine Siskins have been hanging around the feeders for the past week.
White-throated Sparrows are still here, and Purple Finches were here until
4/22. My last sighting of a junco was 4/19.

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt
Buchanan County