[Bristol-Birds] Swainson's Thrush, Round Bald, Roan Mtn

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:49:52 -0500

My wife and I hiked north from Carver's Gap on Thursday for a few miles.  On
our way back up to Round Bald, near where the flaming azaleas are still
blooming, we heard a Swainson's Thrush sing several times loud and clear.  It
definitely caught me off guard as I wasn't necessarily expecting to actually
hear one, but I did see the post Dean Edwards forwarded from the NC list serve,
so I was keeping an ear out for it.  Quite a nice ending to a great hike.  I
did double check my thrush songs and the singer was definitely a Swainson's
Thrush and not a Hermit.

We were 2.5 miles or so north of Round Bald and had a pair of calling Hermit
Thrushes in the thick woods.  I never saw the birds (mostly because we didn't
stop for long and I didn't carry my binoculars!).

Two male Vesper Sparrows were around Round Bald as well.  Both perched up
nicely on trail markers and sang for us.

Good birding,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
P.O. Box 40747
Nashville, TN 37204
615-781-6653 (o)
615-781-6654 (fax)

www.tnwatchablewildlife.org
www.pbase.com/shoeman

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Nature Calendar for NE TN / SW VA:
http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ