[Bristol-Birds] Swainson's Thrush, Mt. LeConte, Great Smoky Mountains NP

  • From: Andrew Laughlin <pileatus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:41:50 -0400

Hello -

While surveying for Hermit Thrushes at Mt. LeConte the past few days,
I heard a Swainson's Thrush sing briefly near the Mt. LeConte hiking
shelter and Lodge. This bird is exceedingly rare in TN during the
breeding season. One was found at this location last year I believe,
so this might be the 2nd or 3rd record for this species that I know
of. If this isn't correct, please let me know!  Could be an early Fall
migrant, but I think it's too early even for this bird.

There is a nice population of Swainson's Thrushes at Mt. Rogers in VA.
This is as far south as they can reliably be found.

It was singing from a very thickly vegetated area of Fraser Fir
saplings and seedlings that was virtually impenetrable. If you want a
detailed description of where this bird was found, let me know
off-list.

Good birding!

Andrew Laughlin
Johnson City, TN