[Bristol-Birds] Sunny Sunday January 31, 2010

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 14:57:13 -0800 (PST)

Birders,
Having broken my leg January 1 my birding has been seriously curtailed.  As I
cannot drive the school bus and crutching in deep snow and ice is not easy much
of my time has been spent on my couch.  I have been out a few times with some
few results.
January 30, 2010 -- Norton Va. -- Near Capt. D's.  Several HUNDRED crows.  They
roost near Norton all winter.  They range from Powell Valley (Franklin's Dairy
Farm) to Blackwood (Landfill).  I have seen the flock flying from PV into
Norton through Little Stone Gap.  The flock can be nearly 1/2 mile long.

Jan 31, 2010 --
FIrst Avenue -- 2 female cardinals in the Rose of Sharon, 1 male in the holly,
red breasted nuthatch, downy woodpecker, red bellied woodpecker, mourning
doves, winter wren

Powell Valley -- 2 red tailed hawks hunting snow covered hay fields along the
Butcher's Fork of Powell River.

Since Wise County is out of school tomorrow I may get to observe more birds
from my porch or my windows.

Bill Cawood, Big Stone Gap