[Bristol-Birds] Sunday

  • From: "cfm46" <cfm46@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, hoganbeth7@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:28:23 -0500

Following up on Rick Knight=92s report on Saturday, sighting
a bald eagle on Holston, I was determined to try my luck
once again on Wilbur Lake. Larry McDaniel helped me notch a
bald eagle in my belt a couple of winters ago, one of Fred
Alsop=92s students had sighted one near the parking area,
and last year, I believe, Tommy McNeil sighted one at the
camp ground.

I can proudly report sighting two adult bald eagle just
downstream from the campground, perched at road level across
the river. They had flown over me while I was at the
campground and I almost missed them in the shadows. Thinking
that they may have a nest along the road behind the
campground I searched up and back without finding any. The
pair was patient with me and remained in plain view until I
got back. All this about 9:15 this morning (Sunday); the sun
was still not on the campground.

Not too long later one flew upstream and out of sight so I
drove up looking for a nesting spot this across the river
from the gate. Soon after a lone crow chased the second to
near where I was standing. (And I thought the bald eagle was
supposed to represent strength and power?) He eventually
flew on up river out of sight beyond the power house.

End of adventure.

Also: assorted crow, chickadee, wren, pileated w.p.,
redbellied w.p, goldfinch, mallard, Canada goose, bufflehead

Charles Moore
Herndon Chapter