[Bristol-Birds] Sullivan and Washington County Water Areas--Snow Geese

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:20:58 -0500

Gil Derouen and I birded several water areas in Washington and Sullivan
Counties this morning.  Highlights include:

Austin Springs
4 Snow Geese--1 adult white phase and 3 immature blue phase, in pasture on the
left as we drove the road into the Humphrey's farm
Am. Pipit                          10
Great Blue Heron                2
Green-winged Teal              4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker    2
Kingfisher                            1
Golden-crowned Kinglet      2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet         1

Paddle Creek
Great Blue Heron                 1
Coot                                    6
Pied-billed Grebe                 1
Kingfisher                             1
E. Meadowlark                     2
Palm Warbler                        1
In addition to the birds, we saw two White-tailed Deer--a doe along Paddle
Creek Road as we left and a 7-point buck on the hills back of the upper ponds
at Paddle Creek.

Weir Dam
Bufflehead                   40

South Holston Dam Overlook
Bufflehead                       5
Great Blue Heron            2
Ring-billed Gull                7
Common Loon                2

Rooty Branch and Pemberton Rds.
Red-shouldered Hawk         1
Am. Kestrel                         1

Colebrook Rd.
Green-winged Teal              8

Musick's  Campground
Great Blue Heron                 2
Common Loon                     1
Pied-billed Grebe                 7
Horned Grebe                      2
Bonaparte's Gull                  16
Ring-billed Gull                     1
Kingfisher                             1

Middlebrook Lake
Great Blue Heron                    1
Ring-necked Duck                 12
Hooded Merganser                50
Pied-billed Grebe                     1
Coot                                      16

We met up with Rick Knight at the South Holston Dam.  He pointed out the Common
Loons and had seen 3.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City