[Bristol-Birds] Sullivan Cty Water areas--White-winged Scoter at Middlebrook Lake

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 17:18:18 -0500

Gil Derouen, Kathy Noblet, and I checked several water areas in Washington and
Sullivan Ctys today.  Main results:

Austin Springs:  from the Austin Springs Rd. Bridge, and an overlook downstream
from the bridge--we did not see any waterfowl of note, but had a flock of about
20 Chipping Sparrows

Weir Dam:
Am. Wigeon             10
Redhead                   65
Bufflehead                 45
Ring-necked Duck       8
Lesser Scaup               5
Eastern Screech Owl    1
Hermit Thrush               1
Pileated Woodpecker   2

Rooty Branch Ponds
Am. Black Duck              2
Gadwall                           4
Red-shouldered Hawk     1

Middlebrook Farms on Hwy 44
Redheads                        8

Also on Hwy 44 in the cornfield by the blue statue, where Sandhill Cranes have
often been seen around 3-5 p.m., we had some White-crowned Sparrows and one Am.
Pipit

Musick's:
When we were at Musick's (about 11:30 this morning) the snowfall was creating a
white-out.  At one point, we saw three waterfowl near the far bank by the
trailers in VA--likely Common Loons--but we couldn't be sure of the identity.

Middlebrook Lake
White-winged Scoter             1
Coot                                     6
Pied-billed Grebe                  2
Most of the Gulls in the area--we estimated 1500 Ring-billed Gulls
at least 5  immature Herring Gulls and at least one mature Herring Gull

Roy Knispel
Johnson City