[Bristol-Birds] Sugar Hollow Park, Washington Co., VA

  • From: "Richard Kretz" <kretz9446@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:17:09 -0500

Folks,
Yesterday, March 29th,  I birded Sugar Hollow Park in Washington Co., VA from
approx. 12:15 until 1:50 PM. The weather was mostly sunny with temps in the mid
to upper 60s and light winds. For those of you that haven't had an opportunity
to bird there yet, the habitat includes a small wetlands, open fields, and
predominantly conifer (white pine) with mixed deciduous woodlands. It should be
an excellent place to find warblers during the next few months. In addition to
considerable bird activity there was a good deal of insect and aquatic activity
as well. Following are my observations. Photos may be viewed on my website at:
http://www.pbase.com/rkretz/recent_photos&page=all.
Enjoy the birds...
Richard Kretz
Elk Garden, Russell Co., VA

Carolina Chickadee - 8
Tufted Titmouse - 2
White-Breasted Nuthatch - 1
Song Sparrow - 12 (Singing profusely with several collecting nesting material)
Savannah Sparrow - 1
House Sparrow - 1 male in parking lot at entrance to the park
Northern Cardinal - 7 (5 male/2 female)
Blue Jay - 3
Golden-Crowned Kinglet - 6 observed, several more heard
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 1 male
Pine Warbler - 2 observed singing, heard several more
Yellow-Rumped Warbler - approx. 12
Eastern Phoebe - 2 singing
American Robin - 18 (lots of courting)
Rock Pigeons - 12
Mourning Dove - 4
Turkey Vulture - 3
American Crow - 6
Common Grackle - 8
Red-Winged Blackbird - approx. 15
European Starling - approx. 50
Eastern Towhee - 3
Carolina Wren - 2
Cedar Waxwing - 6
House Finch - approx. 6
American Goldfinch - approx. 10 (several males molting to breeding plumage)
Northern Mockingbird - 4
Downy Woodpecker - 1 male
Red-Bellied Woodpecker - 1 female
Pileated Woodpecker - 1