[Bristol-Birds] Stumble birding at its finest!!!

  • From: "Ken Hale" <khale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:48:00 -0500

Well, I am quite amazed that Wallace failed to take the opportunity to detail
the actual events leading up to the finding of the Snow Bunting on South
Holston Lake.  I have never known Wallace to be at a loss for words.
The actual facts are as follows.  My daughter Meredith and I went to Painter
Creek Marina on South Holston to pull the boat for the winter.  We decided to
take a quick run up the lake, and in doing so passed Musick's Campground.
Looking over, we spotted a single vehicle, likely a birder, but I did not
recognize the car.  Meredith noticed that two other vehicles pulled in to park,
and that one was Wallace's.

We began making our way toward shore, and as we pulled up, Don Holt announced
that he thought a small bird flying overhead was a Snow Bunting.  We beached
the boat, and walked up to converse and observe.

The bunting flew around for a while, out over the lake nearly out of sight,
back over the campground and landed on Egret Island.  In a minute or so, it
took flight again, made a circle and landed on the backside of the island.
Wallace, Rack, Sam, Meredith and I boarded the boat and proceeded to the back
side of the island where we promptly located the bird.  We then dropped Rack
and Sam off, and picked up Don and Diane, and headed back for a second look.

The bunting held steady in the same area, and we were able to approach within
about 40 feet.  Wallace was kind enough to loan me his binoculars, because I
had no intent of engaging in birding at the onset of the adventure and did not
have mine with me.  Lesson, keep a cheap pair of binocs on the boat.

An unusual bird (and a lifer for me) allowed me to stumble over its path once
again.  A couple more, and I may be elevated to Master Stumbler status!!

Ken Hale