[Bristol-Birds] Strip Site Birding - Buchanan County

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:12:09 -0500

Area Birders,
Yesterday a friend and I birded the strip site here on Compton Mt in Buchanan
Co. The area used to be open to hikers, birders, and 4 wheelers, but a section
of the land now has a new owner and he has closed the road. However, I did get
permission for our bird club members to bird the area. We are finding more and
more of these areas gated and posted.
 We found CARDINALS, CAROLINA CHICKADEES, TITMICE, CAROLINA WRENS and RUFFED
GROUSE. One of the more interesting species we saw was GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS,
but the top species located was a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH.
Enjoy the birds,
Roger Mayhorn
Grundy VA