[Bristol-Birds] Strip Mine Sites in KY and VA

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts Group <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:05:46 -0700 (PDT)

Area Birders,

  Michelle and I spent the day birding reclaimed strip mine sites at Beaver
Knob in Pike County, KY and at Guesses Fork in Buchanan County, VA.  At Beaver
Knob we found six new birds for 2006:  Common Yellowthroat, Yellow-breasted
Chat, American Redstart, Solitary Sandpiper, Indigo Bunting, and Grasshopper
Sparrow.

  We had fantastic looks at Cerulean Warblers at Guesses Fork along with
several other warbler species there.

  For those interested I've posted some hike pictures at:
  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/beaver

  Ed and Michelle Talbott
  Grundy, Virginia

Celebrate Earth Day everyday!  Discover 10 things you can do to help slow
climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day