[Bristol-Birds] Stilt sandpipers, Am bittern, etc at WalMart Dist Center (Greene Co, TN)

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 05:35:12 -0700 (PDT)

Don Miller and I visited the WalMart Distribution Center (WMDC) in Greene Co
yesterday after work and found some good birds.  Don has the numbers but I
think is without internet access at the moment, so I will give a preliminary
report.  There is quite a bit of exposed mudflat on pond #2, which is where we
saw most of the shorebirds.  Species included:

  WMDC, Greene Co, 10/3/07
  GBH
  Great egret (2)
  Am bittern
  Sora
  Green-winged teal
  Greater yellowlegs (several)
  Lesser yellowlegs (several)
  Stilt sandpiper (7 ? flew around the second pond about 10 times with a couple
of lesser yellowlegs and landed right in front of us.  In flight we thought at
first we had a flock of lesser yellowlegs with a couple of greaters until we
noted the funny, decurved bills on the ?lesser?.)
  Killdeer
  Swamp, Song, and Savannah sparrows
  Tree swallows (hundreds)
  Marsh wren