[Bristol-Birds] Steele Creek Park Birding

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:19:36 EST

20 NOV 04
Steele Creek Park
Bristol, TN
.
This morning/afternoon Sam Cross and I birded the Highly Intensive
Recreational Use Area (HIRUA) of Steele Creek Park in Bristol, TN. This area
included
the Nature Center, Civitan Shelter, Park Entrance, and Rotary Shelter. The
areas
mentioned are connected by a circular roadway that follows lake shore and
creek bank for about half it's length. That means this is low elevation in the
park. Lots of assorted evergreens make suitable habitat for explaining our
findings.
The most notable observation included finding a surprising ratio of
Red-breasted Nuthatches (RBNU) to White-breasted Nuthatches (WBNU). The tally
for the
day ended at 2:1 in favor of the RBNU!
RBNU - 6
WBNU - 3
This was surprising to me as I have not observed RBNU in the park prior to
this year. Earlier this year on a BBC bird walk for Wild Life Weekend the RBNU
was also recorded (16 OCT 04).
.
'Til we bird again
Rack Cross