[Bristol-Birds] Steele Creek Park

  • From: "Kevin Elam" <kevinelam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:13:49 -0700

Hello Birders!

Wildlife Weekend is here!

We are having 4 birding events this weekend.  They start tonight with a
campfire program featuring live owls at 7:00 pm.  These owls will be
coming from Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport, TN.  Marty Silver
will be doing the program, and if you have never met him, then this will
be a real treat for you.  Warriors Path is home to several recovering
non-releasable raptors, which are used for educational programs.

This will be followed at around 8:00 pm by an Owl Prowl Hike, led by Tom
McNeil of Northeast State Technical Community College.  This is always a
fun program, and we will have a great chance to see or hear some of our
common owls here.  The most common owls in the park are Great Horned
Owls and Eastern Screech-owls.  The attached photo shows the two color
morphs of the screech-owl, which we saw during our last Owl Prowl last
January.  Bring your flashlight.

Saturday will start at 9:00 am with a bird hike led by Wallace Coffey.
This is about the time that we began to see migrating waterfowl in the
park last year, and there are a variety of birds that we could see
during this trip.

At 10:00 am Richard Lewis will be conducting a Bird Banding Program in
the Grassland near the Civitan Shelter.  Last year we banded
Goldfinches, Song Sparrows, Cardinals, as well as other species.  There
was a lot of bird acitivity in the Grassland yesterday when I was
cutting the lanes out for the nets.  There is another picture attached
to this email of a participant in last year's bird banding.  He is
releasing a Goldfinch after it had been measured and banded.

The rest of the day Saturday will be filled with a variety of hikes and
presentations on other subjects such as the Gray Fossil Site, an Ecology
Hike, a hike to Slagle Hollow, Nature Photography, as well as many other
great events.  So come join the fun this weekend at Steele Creek Park.

Kevin Elam
Steele Creek Park Nature Center Manager
(423)989-5616

 the FREE email that has everyone talking at <a href=http://www.mail2world.com
Email Storage &#150; POP3 &#150; Calendar &#150; SMS &#150; Translator &#150;