[Bristol-Birds] Status of Herndon Field Trip for Woodcock tonight

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:50:10 -0500

I spent the dusk hour at the Weir Dam last night (Friday) and did not hear any Woodcock peeents or see any display flights. I will be at the Weir Dam by 5:30 this evening--I plan to check the Rooty Branch Rd. beaver pond on the way over--but, based on my experience last night, I'm not optimistic about finding Woodcock there tonight. It should be clear tonight and warmer than last night, but I'm not sure that will help. Besides the ducks I saw at the Weir Dam last night, the Screech Owl was visible in his hole in the Sycamore tree by the bridge and two Muskrats were working along the near shore above the Weir Dam upstream from the lemons.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City
Phone:  423-202-7802
Cell:   920-203-0332