[Bristol-Birds] Standifer Gap Marsh and Backyard Birding 1-12-06

  • From: Jacob Job <zjrj5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:49:13 -0800 (PST)

Today was my last day at the marsh until the spring.  Headed back to school on
Saturday.  I birded from about 845-1230.  I was accompanied by David Patterson
and Dusty Wright for most of the day.  Beautiful day out to accompany the good
birding.  Species list was as follows:

  Great Blue Heron
  Mallard
  Northern Shoveler
  Gadwall
  Coopers Hawk
  Red-shouldered Hawk
  American Kestrel
  Sora
  American Coot
  Killdeer
  Common Snipe
  Mourning Dove
  Red-bellied Woodpecker
  Downy Woodpecker
  Northern Flicker
  Pileated Woodpecker
  Eastern Phoebe
  Blue Jay
  American Crow
  Carolina Chickadee
  White-breasted Nuthatch
  Carolina Wren
  HOUSE WREN
  Winter Wren
  Marsh Wren
  American Robin
  Northern Mockingbird
  Brown Thrasher
  European Starling
  Orange-crowned Warbler
  Northern Cardinal
  Eastern Towhee
  Savannah Sparrow
  Song Sparrow
  Swamp Sparrow
  Red-winged Blackbird
  Rusty Blackbird
  House Finch
  American Goldfinch

  Also, while cleaning the gutters of the house today, I was overtop a few of
the feeders and had a little excitement with what flew in to the feeders.  I
had a Pine Warbler and  Blue-headed Vireo both feed on the suet of the feeder.
This in turn caused me to bird for about 40 mins in the yard.  The species list
was as follows:

  Red-shouldered Hawk
  Turkey Vulture
  Red-bellied Woodpecker
  Downy Woodpecker
  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
  Blue Jay
  American Crow
  Carolina Chickadee
  Tufted Titmouse
  White-breasted Nuthatch
  Brown-headed Nuthatch
  Brown Creeper
  Carolina Wren
  American Robin
  Northern Mockingbird
  European Starling
  Blue-headed Vireo
  Pine Warbler
  Northern Cardinal
  Easteren Towhee
  Chipping Sparrow
  White-throated Sparrow (again singing with me)
  House Finch
  American Goldfinch

  Jacob Job
  Johnson City, TN