[Bristol-Birds] Re: Spotting Scope Question

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michele Sparks <navigate48@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:51:34 -0500

Is this an STS 80 HD? Does it include an eyepiece and which eyepiece? The
eyepieces alone can run up to $800 new.  I would be cautious of buying a
non-HD or non-ED scope. They will work, but you'll probably see color
fringing around high-contrast objects that can sometimes obscure details
that might be useful in identification and will reduce the overall
resolving power of the scope. That being said, I'm sure a lot of people are
still using these and are happy with them. I use a Vortex Razor HD 85mm
scope from Eagle Optics. With included 20-60X eyepiece it was$1599 and has
a lifetime unconditional no questions asked for anything including just
dropping it warranty (I've actually used this warranty and received a brand
new scope back in less than 2 weeks and they paid shpping costs back to
me...this was after I had the scope for 3 years). I've looked through
Swarovski and Kowa scopes side by side with the Vortex and I couldn't see
any difference up to 60X. If the STS 80 is an HD and comes with an
eyepiece, I might go for that one. I do prefer an angled scope as it will
break your neck trying to look up in the trees at birds with a straight
scope. Straights are fine for looking straight out at waterfowl or
shorebirds and such. The Swaros do seem to digiscope a little better than
the Vortex Razor, don't know why. Just some FYI.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee