[Bristol-Birds] Southwest Virginia harrier

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:41:43 -0400

Rivermont Dr.
.25 miles west of
Middle Fork Holston River bridge
Washington Co., VA

Since I do not recall more than a couple of posts (one at Mendota
and one at Galax) for a Northern Harrier in Southwest Virginia this fall,
I thought a female coursing low over a large unharvested cornfield was
interesting.  I guess we haven't been birding in the best habitat this
fall, or at the right time, or not posting.  Maybe my memory is failing me.
Rick Knight had a few at Carver's Gap and Don Miller has reported
down his way.  The species was found on the Elizabethton
fall count in late Sept.  Some hawk counts suggested that harriers
were more scare because they believed the species is migrating a
little later this year.

Let's go birding......