[Bristol-Birds] Soup 'n Sparrow Saturday adventur + boating trip

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:07:38 -0500

Soup 'n Sparrow +

BBC soup and sparrow dinner ruritan 28 Jan 2012.JPG

Members of the Bristol Bird Club will, for

the first time, offer birders of the region

simultaneous bird walks at the South

 Holston weir dam and Osceola Island.

Everyone is invited to either or both.

John Moyle and Rick Knight will each lead

Saturday morning field trips this weekend

(31 January 2015).  Similar to a naturalist

rally or bird festival events,  each will

 provide birders a choice of great leaders,

great places, great food and unique target

species.

Moyle will meet his group at 8:30 a.m. at the

Weir Dam parking lot near the South Holston Dam.  The

trip offers a carpooling or follow leader trip at  7:15 a.m.

at Ingles' near Exit 59 on I 81.

Knight will meet a group at 8:30 a.m at the Emmett

Bridge parking area and that very small weir dam where

the TVA South Holston Dam reservation sign is located.

TVA lower small weir dam parking lot 2015.jpg

Emmett Bridge Parking area on far side as you enter SHL Dam area.

Both meeting sites are within a few hundred yards

of one another and the Knight meeting area is

downstream of the Moyle meeting parking lot.

TVA Riverwal Trail 2015.jpg

Knight will then lead his group over the TVA Riverwalk Trail which will

be a new birding experience for some.  After a hundred yards are so

of good birding on this wide and birdy trail,  the group will  then cross

the Osceola Island bridge and check out the waterfowl and other good birds.

At the fast approaching hour of  11 a.m. Knight's group will leave the field

to take part at the South Holston Ruritan Club where area birders

have been regular participants for many years. Each year the Ruritans

calls to make sure we are reminded of the delicious "all-you-can-eat."

Charlie Owens called earlier this year to once again remind us that it

is set as always on the last Saturday in January.  He has called for

nearly a decade.

South Holston Rujritan pots storage 2010.jpgYou can't eat any better food or
as

much or as worthwhile lunch than to

join with the Ruritans.  Every penny

of the $7.00 door charge goes to their

Sullivan East High School college

scholarship fund which keeps many

youth in school each years.  There is

no tax and no other costs.  Included

is your drink (very large choice) and

every kind of dessert you can imagine.

Following the meal,  those who participate in the fundraise lunch,

may go with Knight when he leads an exciting field trip by float boat

to areas of South Holston Lake in the vicinity of Musick's Campground.

This is the PLUS in  Soup 'n Sparrow +

This free early afternoon boating/birding trip will enjoy a great day

which is expected to be partly cloudy and about 40 degrees.

In addition to exciting waterbirds,  this trip will enjoy the skills,

talent and leadership of not  only the best waterfowl birder anywhere

around but also the birder who found the area's first Brown-headed

Nuthatch.  He will lead us by boat to such pine areas of Strawberry

Ridge, Big Jacob's Creek, Jones Ridge, Taylor Knob and Stout

Branch.  We will make a close shoreline inspection from the boat

and an exciting search for the rare Brown-headed Nuthatch.  This

Is not to simply see this species but to find them in additional habitats

where we believe they may be wintering.

These areas are in roadless country where you cannot drive by

vehicles. .

Strawberry Ridge has, for several years, been suspected as a nesting

vicinity for the Bald Eagle.  It has not been carefully searched.  Who

knows but what you may find the first nest on South Holston Lake in

Sullivan Co.  How exciting would that be ? We will have good eyes

and experienced eagle nest searchers on board.

BBC Party Hut Tracker 2015.jpg

Above is the spacious Party Hut Tracker which we birded from during

our fall field trip in November of last year.  It will haul birders in
comfort.

We will be able to make more than one trip over the lake to

accommodate as many birders as possible.  The first trip will be the

exploration and search adventure.  Any additional trips will be closer

to the Painter Creek Marina and Musick's where we will stage our trips.

We will have all safety equipment and clean and nice bathrooms and

everything you want.  Knight will lead all trips.  Nancy McPeak

will host birders and help provide for their security and comfort.  She

is experienced at this.

You do not have to participate in either morning bird walks at the

weir dams in order to go on the boat.  But you must purchase a

lunch and join in the fellowship with us at the Ruritan Club as they

raise money for their scholarships.  You will be given the starting

time for the boat during lunch.

The Ruritan Club is on Meadow Creek Rd. just around the corner

from the weir dam as you head towards Rooty Branch Wetlands

and  Pemberton Rd.

A MORE TRADITIONAL TRIP TO SUIT YOU

Seeking out new birding areas and birding in unfamiliar areas is

not for everyone.  Neither is birding by boat.  After scouring the

South Holston Lake area, Moyle's group will eat lunch at a not

too distant pizzeria or you can eat there with a lunch you bring.

Following that, he will lead his party to Middlebrook Lake and not

head home until they have scanned it well!  If you would like a

ride or wish to follow Moyle, join in!  He will meet birders at 7:15 a.m.

at Ingles' near Exit 59 on I 81 at Kingsport.

This should be a great winter day afield for everyone who can be

on one or more of these trips this Saturday.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image