[Bristol-Birds] Solitary Sandpiper (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:30:26 -0400

July 10, 2007

This evening I found two Solitary Sandpipers in a much-depleted farm pond along
C. M. Jones Road near Tusculum in Greene County.  (If the current drought has
anything positive to offer, it's the drawdown on ponds that normally offer
little shoreline.  If the dry spell continues, I expect to see more shorebirds
than usual in Greene County because there will be more suitable habitat exposed
than in years of typical rainfall.  Of course, another aspect to this is that
certain areas that are normally good for shorebirds will be totally dry during
this year's migration.)

Today's date is earlier than usual for south-bound Solitary Sandpipers in
Greene County, which tend to be present from around the 18th of July until mid-
October or slightly later.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx