[Bristol-Birds] Snowy Egret / Bobolink

  • From: Robert Biller <xyon42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:06:33 -0400

Was able to make it out to Austin Springs Bridge to see one of the two
Snowy Egrets Rick Knight found this morning (Washington County). I spent
the rest of my lunch break doing a little birding and went the long way
back to the office. I went to what used to be St. John's Pond in eastern
Washington County (near the St. John's Mill) and found a single Bobolink. I
was on one of the fence posts behind where the pond used to be before it
became unable to hold water. (According to farmer Sam - who I spoke to
briefly - the ground became too soft to hold water. Anyway, the Bobolink
flew to the field away from the pond and plopped down. I thought there
might be more but could not locate anymore. They may have been in the tall
grass but I couldn't find them before I finally had to leave and get back
to work.

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN

--