[Bristol-Birds] Snow Goose to Ross's Goose and Sandhill Crane

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:46:45 -0500

Area Birders,
Yesterday a bird that was thought, when viewed at some distance, to be a Snow
Goose was found at the old Richlands airport in Tazewell County. Buchanan
County Bird Club member, David Raines, found the bird with some Canada Geese,
but David did not have a scope with him at the time. Upon closer inspection
today Richard Kretz and Roger and Lynda Mayhorn found that the bird was a
Ross's Goose. This is the third Ross's Goose to show up in Southwest VA in the
last few weeks.
Richard took some great photos of the bird. They can be seen at his website at
http://www.pbase.com/rkretz/recent_photos&page=all

Thanks To Sue Heath for alerting me to a Sandhill Crane that was observed on a
farm in Hansonville in Russell County yesterday. I got in touch with the
landowner and was told that the bird was not there today.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt (near Grundy)
Buchanan County