[Bristol-Birds] Snow Goose, Common Goldeneye, Redhead, etc. (Sullivan Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:48:23 -0500

December 5, 2005

Sullivan County: Musick's Lakeside Campground (MLC), Middlebrook Lake (ML)

I spent about half of the morning today at MLC and ML, hoping for the Pacific Loon seen yesterday and other goodies that might have shown up during the night. Viewing conditions were generally poor (steady rain and frequent wind gusts). I was unable to locate the Pacific Loon. The species list and individual numbers that I recorded were significantly different from what was found yesterday.

Highlights this morning were:

Common Loon (42 MLC);
Horned Grebe (35+ MLC, 9 ML);
Eared Grebe (7 MLC (Virginia shore));
Pied-billed Grebe (MLC);
Snow Goose (8 MLC--6 white, 2 blue);
Canada Goose (10 MLC); Green-winged Teal (3 MLC);
American Black Duck (2 MLC);
Redhead (29 MLC);
Greater Scaup (4 ML);
Lesser Scaup (1 MLC, 14 ML);
Common Goldeneye (ML);
Bufflehead (8 MLC, 3 ML);
Hooded Merganser (220+ ML);
Red-breasted Merganser (68+ MLC, 15 ML);
Ruddy Duck (ML);
American Coot (45 MLC);
Bonaparte's Gull (60+ MLC);
Ring-billed Gull (2 MLC, 75+ ML);
American Pipit (MLC).

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia