[Bristol-Birds] Siskin Invasion - Buchanan County, VA

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Virginia Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:58:10 -0800 (PST)

Hey Everyone,

Our flock of Siskins was back again this morning.  My best guess is 100+
birds.  It was interesting that the Siskins seem to keep the Goldfinch and
House Finches away from the platform feeders.  Also, they are fearless when it
comes to people.  I was able to take pictures of them from a distance of about
2-3 feet with a little silver Coolpix camera.  There is a huge influx of
Siskins here in Buchanan County with several flocks over 100 birds reported.
My Dad says he has a lot more Siskins than he had Goldfinch last year and that
they went through 8 pounds of sunflower seeds this morning - I'm going to try
to get a rough count on this flock tomorrow morning.  His best guess was 400+
Siskins (feeders in three different areas of yard).

Anyway, here is a link to some pictures I took this morning.
 http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/siskins

Ed Talbott
Grundy, VA