[Bristol-Birds] Sightings at Gray Beaver Dam

  • From: Mike Poe <mpoe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Club <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:58:25 -0400

Yesterday evening, June 24th, I decided to check out the beaver dam in Gray, TN (Washington County). This was my first visit there this year and the area, as could be expected, has grown up considerably in cattails and even more trees have died due to the flooding caused by the beavers. If one watches closely you should be able to observe a pair of Red-winged Blackbirds feeding their young just across from the only real pull off available. Their nest is in the edge of some cattails and once located by the arriving parents you can sometimes catch glimpses of the young (using binoculars). Other birds see were as follows :

American Crow
Killdeer
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
Belted Kingfisher (3 very active and noisy)
Eastern Phoebe
Brown Thrasher
American Robin
Canada Goose
Wood Duck (first year and mother with 1 young)
Cedar Waxwing
Common Grackle
Song Sparrow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (?) see below

There were several swallows in the area and I don't really recall seeing them last year. I was there late in the evening which puts the flooded area in a back / side light. This makes the swallows, when perching on the wires running over the area, appear as an almost silhouetted profile. I would categorize my ability at visual identification of swallows somewhat suspect under these conditions so I am not totally sure they are Northern-rough winged. However I did observe them several times striking the water apparently taking insects from the surface which I believe is characteristic of this species.

On a non birding note I also saw at least two beavers and several snapping turtles not to mention the several dragonflies about.

Mike Poe
Holston Community
Kingsport, TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia