[Bristol-Birds] Short-eared Owl (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:26:43 -0400 (EDT)

March 29, 2011
[posted March 30, 2011]

I apologize for the lateness of this post.

Yesterday evening (the 29th), Alice Loftin and I headed out to the Joachim
Bible Refuge in hopes of finding the Short-eared Owl seen there on the 28th by
David Kirschke. After we arrived at the refuge (Matthews Lane entrance), Darrel
Wilder joined us.

At about 7:40, the owl appeared in the field to the west of the "Butler" silo.
At first it was perched just above the ground, on a weed or a sapling, but
after a few minutes it took flight, eventually circling over us at close range
before disappearing in the direction of the Bible Cemetery located adjacent to
the refuge. The extreme paleness of the plumage suggested that the bird is a
male.

Also present at the refuge were Blue-winged Teal (at least 2), Northern
Shoveler (2), Green-winged Teal (2), Greater Yellowlegs (5), Lesser Yellowlegs
(8), and White-crowned Sparrow (12). Before joining us at Matthews Lane, Darrel
had also seen the Rough-legged Hawk while scanning the field to the west side
of South Mohawk Road on the other side of the refuge.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Grenne Co., TN