[Bristol-Birds] Short-eared Owl

  • From: "Mike Sanders" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:00:04 -0500

               I decided to try my luck this evening 12-26-2012 at the Bible
Refuge in Greene Co Tn for one of the Short-eared owls that have been seen
recently. I wasn't disappointed as one flew right in to my field of view
while scanning the fields with my binoculars; it was about 100 ft away
flying low over the field, viewing was done from South Mohawk Rd near the
parking area for the dove fields. While waiting for an owl to appear I
counted 11 Northern Harriers flying together over the refuge, there were 2
males mixed in with the females and juveniles, they seemed to be having fun
in the wind diving at each other. The weather turned nasty near dark, the
wind was blowing hard, and the rain turned to sleet, which brought in at
least 400-500 waterfowl from the east to the refuge, also from the east were
3 Sandhill Cranes that glided in right before dusk and a slew of Canada
Geese, several Red-tails were also present. I wonder what the weather will
bring into our area tonight...

Mike Sanders

Bristol, VA