[Bristol-Birds] Short-billed Dowitcher, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 22:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

April 3, 2010
Greene County: Bridge Burners Boulevard and other points in the western portion
of the county

Yesterday evening, while passing through Greene County, David Kirschke phoned
me to say that he had seen a dowitcher at Bridge Burners Boulevard a short
while earlier. He indicated that he had studied it carefully for quite some
time and believed it to be a Short-billed.

This morning, I visited the site and was fortunate to find the bird again.
After examining it with my scope at 30x-35x for about ten minutes, I also
concluded that it was a Short-billed.

The bird was very dully marked, still mostly in basic plumage. I was able to
determine the species on the basis of overall body shape (long and pointy, with
no indication of a humped back), overall pale gray upperparts (showing some
obviously white feather edgings), streaked face (rather than smooth gray
feathering), well-defined breast streaking and spotting (rather than smudgy
gray coloring), well-defined barring on flanks (rather than smudgy markings),
and thick white barring on the tail (creating a very pale effect, very unlike
the dark tail of Long-billed Dowitcher).

Thanks, David, for the heads-up on this bird. It's a rare treat to find one in
Greene County.

Also present today:

Wood Duck (3)
Blue-winged Teal (10, Bridge Burners Blvd.)
Green-winged Teal (3, Bridge Burners Blvd.)
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Greater Yellowlegs (7, Bridge Burners Blvd.)
Lesser Yellowlegs (6, Bridge Burners Blvd.)
Pectoral Sandpiper (12, Bridge Burners Blvd.)
Wilson's Snipe (5)
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Town Hall, Mosheim)
Purple Martin (6)
Tree Swallow (251)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (5)
Barn Swallow