[Bristol-Birds] Short Spur, Flat Woods Trail and Camp Tom Howard Road

  • From: "Mike" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:37:17 -0400

A friend and I took a trip to short spur trail and flat woods trail on Camp
Tom Howard road this morning. The following birds were seen either on the
trails or on Camp Tom Howard road.

Numerous Rufus Sided Towhees (Short Spur)

Chickadees (Short Spur)

Pileated Woodpecker (Flat Woods Trail)

Nashville Warbler (Camp Tom Howard Road)

Eastern Phoebe (Flat Woods Trail)

As we arrived back at his house in Bristol, VA his crabapple tree was
covered with Cedar Waxwings 25-30. They were eating the flower pedals. We
also saw a flicker at his place. Usually short spur yields indigo buntings
but we were left empty handed today. This is off the subject of birds but as
we got out of the vehicle at flat woods we both heard a loud humming/buzzing
noise, we checked a nearby tree that had flowered and there were more bees
than I wanted to be around. It looked like a swarm large enough to cover us
both up, and then some. All in all a good day, still awaiting the other
spring visitors.

Michael Sanders

Bristol, VA