[Bristol-Birds] Shorebirds, etc. (Cocke, Hamblen, Jefferson Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:41:21 -0400

September 3, 2005
[posted September 4, 2005]

On Saturday, September 3, I made a foray to the upper Douglas Lake area of Cocke, Hamblen, and Jefferson Counties and, as usual this time of year, was not disappointed. At Rankin Wildlife Management Area in Cocke County, I met Leslie Gibbens and Michael Sledjeski for yet another great canoe trip. On Douglas Lake in Jefferson County along Highway 25-E, I met Charlie and Tracy Muise and a visiting birder from the Chattanooga area whose name unfortunately I did not catch (please forgive me, kind sir--when I got home and consulted my notes, I realized that I hadn't written down your name). Here's the lowdown on the birds--

Cocke County (C): Dutch Bottoms viewed briefly from car; Rankin Wildlife Management Area viewed from shore near tipple and from canoe;

Hamblen County (H): islands of Rankin Wildlife Management Area (just above the mouth of the Nolichuckey River) viewed from canoe; Nolichuckey River bottomlands viewed from Leeper's Ferry Road (adjacent to Hamblen unit of Rankin Wildlife Management Area);

Jefferson County (J): Leadvale boat launch (across French Broad River from Cocke County unit of Rankin Wildlife Management Area); Douglas Lake at J.M. Walters Bridge on Highway 25-E.

Pied-billed Grebe (1 H);
Double-crested Cormorant (99 C, 19 J, 1 H);
American White Pelican (1 C; also viewed earlier in the day by the Muise party);
Great Blue Heron (18 C, 5 H, 3 J);
Great Egret (87 C, 23 H, 4 J);
Little Blue Heron (5 immatures C, 3 immatures H);
Green Heron (5 H, 1 C, 1 J);
Black-crowned Night-Heron (6 C, 1 H);
Canada Goose (32O C);
Wood Duck (13 C, 7 J, 3 H);
Mallard (41 C, 12 J, 4 H);
Blue-winged Teal (2 H);
Black Vulture (102 J, 1 C);
Turkey Vulture (4 H, 1 C);
Osprey (3 C);
Bald Eagle (1 H--subadult with brown flecking in upper portion of tail feathers; plumage otherwise apparently adult);
Red-tailed Hawk (1 C);
American Kestrel (1 H);
Wild Turkey (9 C);
Semipalmated Plover (8 H);
Killdeer (47 C, 42 H, 5 J);
Lesser Yellowlegs (1 H);
Solitary Sandpiper (4 C);
Spotted Sandpiper (4 H, 1 C);
Semipalmated Sandpiper (8 H);
Western Sandpiper (2 H, 1 C);
Least Sandpiper (41 C, 35 H);
Pectoral Sandpiper (10 H, 3 C);
Dunlin (3 H);
Stilt Sandpiper (1 H);
Laughing Gull (6 J, including both juveniles and adults; several of these also observed by the Muise party);
Ring-billed Gull (30+ J);
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1 C);
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1 H);
Eastern Kingbird (2 J);
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (46 H);
Barn Swallow (1 H);
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1 H);
Prothonotary Warbler (1 C).

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

************************************************* BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST Bristol Birds Net Photo Gallery located at: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwcoffeyy/album?.dir=/efd5

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia