[Bristol-Birds] Shorebirds, etc. (Cocke Co., Jefferson Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 11:07:25 -0400 (EDT)

October 8, 2011
[posted October 9]

David Kirschke and I birded the Ten Islands portion of Douglas Lake in Cocke
County and the adjacent shoreline in Jefferson County yesterday afternoon by
motorized canoe. Species (in Cocke County unless otherwise noted) included:

Black-bellied Plover (3)
Semipalmated Plover
Spotted Sandpiper (Jefferson)
Solitary Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs (3)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (7)
Least Sandpiper (28)
Pectoral Sandpiper (38)
Dunlin (2)

Before and after our canoe trip, I birded the Jefferson County shoreline at the
J.M. Walters Bridge and found Tennessee Warbler (4) and Cape May Warbler (2).
After our shorebird excursion, I also scanned the Dutch Bottoms shoreline
(Cocke County) from Highway 25-E and added Herring Gull (2), American Pipit
(flyover, calling), and Palm Warbler.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN