[Bristol-Birds] Selasphorous ID

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:19:25 -0500

Area Birders,
I just received the following message from Chris Sloan of Nashville, TN in
regard to the Selasphorous hummer photos that I posted yesterday. His
information is much appreciated.
The link to the photos http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/gallery/Hummer2.htm

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA

Roger-
I'm a hummer bander down in Nashville, but I still follow the Virginia list
from my days as a UVa student.  I looked at the photos of the hummer that
you posted recently, and just FWIW, I think this is almost certainly an
adult female Rufous.  Unlike Ruby-throats, female Selasphorus can and
usually do have gorget feathers, and they are very typically clustered in
the lower center part of the throat.  The bird you photographed shows a
typical female gorget pattern.

I say Rufous based on the apparent width of the rectrices, but of course
this would need to be confirmed by hand.

You are welcome to post this to the VA list if you think it will be of
interest to anyone.

regards,

--
Chris Sloan