[Bristol-Birds] Scouting Clinch Mnt./Clinch River (East Tennessee)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:50:18 -0400

Greeneville's Don Miller is gathering records and understanding of a six-county
Upper East Tennessee region which includes Hamblen and adjacent counties of
Greene, Hawkins, Grainger, Jefferson and Cocke. This is a block of counties
which, added to the five-county Northeast Tennessee group (Knight, 1994), makes
up 11 contiguous counties of Upper East Tennessee.
With an ambitious agenda, I spent Sunday (6/5) on a nearly 200-mile habitat
scouting trip along the western edge of the region and back through Hamblen and
Greene to return home.

A priority focus was the Clinch River watershed of Hawkins and Grainger
counties which is to the west of Clinch Mountain. The Holston River is among
the primary watersheds of the six-county area. The Clinch Mountain defines most
of the western boundary but Hawkins and Grainger have extended areas over the
mountain and down to the Clinch River to the northwest.

North of Church Hill, the route entered Stanley Valley, a wide expanse of easy
rolling to flat prime grassland habitat. This area ranks with the best of
grasslands in Upper East Tennessee. Two NORTHERN BOBWHITE were singing on Mount
Zion Rd., a side road. Nice small stands of rushes leaves you to wonder if
Virginia Rails nest here. Otherwise, the area supported an array of ridge and
valley farmland species. A slow listing day could easily produce Dickcissel,
Blue Grosbeak and Grasshopper Sparrow.   SAVANNAH SPARROW would not be
surprising.  Big Creek, a lazy moving stream full of aquatic plants behind
curious, abandoned, Shank's Mill on George Allen Rd. could host impressive
species in several seasons. The entire Big Creek watershed, including its
tributary of Stanley Creek, holds much promise. I left Stanley Valley through
Shank's Gap and returned to US 11W near Surgoinsville.

The Clinch River watershed of Hawkins Co. was reached by traveling over Clinch
Mountain on TN Rt. 66 out of Rogersville. It was followed up a another ridge to
the Hancock Co. line. At the top of Clinch Mountain I blew my horn for RON and
ROSE LAPP but their house is about 3 miles northeast. Why not be friendly
anyhow :-) ? On the decent a PARAULA WARBLER was singing and several RED-EYED
VIREOS.  Also heard a GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER. I was impressed at the
extensive amounts of honeysuckle along the mountain road.

In the Clinch River valley I headed southeast along Clinch Valley Rd. (DeLorme
map calls it Mountain Rd. or East Lee Valley Rd., depending on where you are).
Eventually I traveled down TN Rt. 131.

Much of the southeast route through Hawkins and Grainger was less expansive
with more outcrops of limestone. It appeared more populated. Birding in most
areas was among lots of apparently abandoned pastures in early successional
stages. Wild rose, honeysuckle, locust and eastern red cedar were obvious.
After a short stretch through Hancock Co., the road becomes Thorn Hill Rd. in
Grainger Co. until it meets TN Rt. 131, which continued almost the length of
Clinch Mountain through Grainger to the Union Co. line. At 1484 Thorn Hill Rd.
a colony of 10-15 PURPLE MARTINS were at gourds and a nestbox. Heard one
WHITE-EYED VIREO and several FIELD SPARROWS along this route.

Near the railroad crossing of TN Rt. 131 just northeast of Highland Spring I
took what was probably my last good route back over Clinch Mountains to U.S.
11W. This was the Jopa Mountain Road. The low gap and nice hardwood area
produced two SCARLET TANAGER, and a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER feeding young in a
nest cavity. Also an ACADIAN FLYCATCHER was calling. On the road to the top a
BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER was singing as well as a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER.
All of this habitat is intriguing and needs breeding season attention.

The routes which transverse Clinch Mountain should produce many more typical
species. Much of this area seems like Chestnut-sided Warbler habitat but it is
apparently does not occur along the Clinch in these counties. I did not hear a
Black-throated Blue Warbler anywhere nor were there Darked-eyed Juncos. These
are generally lower elevation mountain tops and gaps probably not exceeding
2100 feet in most places -- to low for such species of higher-elevation
influence.

I really need to get back into Stanley Valley and along the gaps and slopes of
the Clinch to see what surprises might await any birder.

Along U.S. 11W at the bridge over a cove of Cherokee Lake near the intersection
of Old 25E highway (Grainger Co.), 20 CLIFF SWALLOWS were perched on a utility
wire at the bridge and flying beneath the bridge. The species may likely nest
under most concrete bridge structures over Cherokee Lake

Stanley Valley in Hawkins Co.:

N. Bobwhite  2
Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 3