[Bristol-Birds] Sapsucker, Bay-breasted, Blackburnian

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:13:55 -0400

Fellow Birders,
I had a diverse group of 38 species of birds in my yard today, everything from
Bay-breasted to Sapsucker. The foggy morning started out rather slowly except
for a flock of CEDAR WAXWINGS along with SWAINSON'S and WOOD THRUSHES  feeding
on wild grapes and Virginia Creeper berries. The Swainson's gave their short
one note call as they fed. As the fog lifted I noticed a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH
among them. They were later joined by a solitary SCARLET TANAGER.
The action began to pick up when I saw a female BLACKBURNIAN and  a TN WARBLER
in the cherry tree just outside of the kitchen window. Moments later they were
joined by a single PALM WARBLER.

 A couple of ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS could be heard near the edge of the woods,
though I never saw them. The first NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD since last spring began
singing from the top of the apple tree in the front  yard.

A pair of BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS chased each other around the yard, and they
were later joined by another male.
A male COMMON YELLOWTHROAT was working the Goldenrod at the edge of the field
as a PILEATED WOODPECKER called from deep in the woods. NORTHERN FLICKERS were
chasing each other off a tall dead tree at the edge of the field. A male
RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER stopped by briefly. Later in the afternoon I was a bit
surprised to see my first YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER of the season as it hammered
on a thick wild grapevine. I realized the bird was a juvenile, when I could
find no red on it at all, and the black on it was just a shadow of what it will
later become.

I had a bit of a start when four Gray Squirrels that were bending down branches
in the tops of the Chestnut trees nearly dropped Chestnut burrs on my head.
It was a nice day to be outside.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA