[Bristol-Birds] Sandhill Cranes II

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:48:11 EST

Sorry about the bogus message. Must have punched the wrong button. Here is
the original message I tried to send earlier in the week.
Subj:   Sandhill Cranes
Date:   2/2/04 12:24:50 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:   RonEHarrin
To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bristol Birders:

Joan and I made our first trip to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge on Friday,
January 30.
Arriving about an hour before dusk, we were treated to a grand show, only
rivaled in my experience by a large kettle of Broad-winged hawks on Clinch
Mountain in September. The sky was literally filled with cranes, and all of
them
seemed to be calling at once--a rattling GAR-OO-OO, which, as it reverberated
across the surrounding water and fields, added a special, somewhat haunting,
dimension to the experience. Awesome!

The next morning we arrived around 10:00 a.m., and there were even more
cranes than before, most standing around in the shallow water or surrounding
fields. It was a bitter cold morning, which may have delayed their departure
for
their feeding grounds.
According to the TWRA, approximately 10,000 birds winter there, but the
numbers may be as high as 25,000 to 30,000 during migration. I certainly
couldn't
argue with these numbers. The best times of day to see the birds are at dawn
and dusk. Bring along warm clothing and hot drinks, it can get mighty cold at
the viewing area.

We didn't see Whooping Cranes, but did spot a mature American Bald Eagle.
There were lots of ducks, Great-blue Herons; and thousands of crows, the latter
apparently lured by corn planted in the nearby fields for the cranes.

If you haven't taken in this birding experience, please take the time to do
so at least once in your lifetime. The viewing area is easy to find. Take Exit
27, I-75 S (Cleveland, TN). Turn right and following the four lane road until
it intersects with TN Rte 60. Turn right on 60 and follow until you come to
Birchwood School. After the school, stay on 60 just a mile or so more until you
see a sign on the right for the Hiwassee Refuge. Follow the signs to the
viewing area. For more information, call the Meigs County Tourism office at
423-334-5850, or visit www.southeasttennessee.com.

May all your birds be wild ones.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA