[Bristol-Birds] Sandhill Crane / Ring-necked Ducks

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:15:39 -0400

Bristol Area Birders:

The Sandhill Crane was seen from Musick's Campground
again today (11/11).  It was flying in the bright evening sun.

 I heard the bird call a couple of times about 4:30 p.m.
while I was at the usual parking area.  I couldn't locate
the bird but, within a few minutes, it arose from behind
"Egret Island" (the vegetative knoll just north of Musick's
Campground above the little pond).  It flew north towards
Washington County Park and gained a considerable
height above the average terrain until it flew out of sight
in the general direction of Avens Bridge.

This places the crane in both Tennessee and Virginia
for today's sighting.

At Middlebrook Lake I had a raft of 225 Ring-necked
Ducks with 59 Hooded Mergansers (also counted 394
Canada Geese).

A third Double-crested Cormorant is present.  Two birds
have been present for some time.

Also at Musick's Campground were:  Greater Yellowlegs 1,
Horned Grebe 5, American Coot 5, American Pipit 6 and
Pied-billed Grebe 12.

The first record of a Sandhill Crane near Musick's Campground
was by Ed & Hellen Morgan of Abingdon who had a single bird
16 Nov 1997 in the Spring Creek Embayment of Washington
County, VA.

Two were seen 11 Nov. 2000, as they flew close and low past
Musick's Campground from Sullivan County, Tennessee  and
headed north over the Spring Creek Embayment in  Virginia
(Anthony Whitted, John Adams, Donna Adams, Pennie Jennings,
Allan Trently, Howard Langridge, Laura Duncan and Wallace
Coffey).

Three were seen going to roost on the small pond at the edge
of the lake at Musick's Campground in a snowfall on the eveing
of 26 Dec 2000 (Wallace Coffey, Mae Musick, Virgil Carr).  The
birds roosted there the remainder of the winter and were found
to be feeding daily on King Lane in Holston Valley through
18 Feb 2001  (Wallce Coffey, Larry McDaniel, Don Holt).

There are now six records for Southwest Virginia with birds
previously at Rural Retreat Lake (Wythe Co.) and Lonesome
Pine Airport (Wise Co.).

Let's go birding.....

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958