[bristol-birds] Re: Sand Hill Cranes

  • From: "Troy Ettel" <Troy.Ettel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:27:08 -0600

Ed:
The Sandhill Cranes at the Mississippi Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge
are of a different subspecies, Grus canadensis pulla , the Mississippi Sandhill
Crane, than those recently seen in Kingsport and throughout Tennessee during
fall and winter.  The Mississippi subspecies is Federally Endangered and is one
of three nonmigatory sandhill crane subspecies, the others being G. c. nesiotes
, the Cuban Sandhill Crane (the largest bird on the island) and G. c. pratensis
, the Florida Sandhill Crane.

Migratory sandhills seen passing through Tennessee (including the Hiwassee
Refuge birds) and other Southeastern states in winter and fall are mostly
Greater Sandhill Cranes, G. c. tabida, the largest subspecies.

The other two migratory subspecies include the Lesser Sandhill Crane (the most
numerous subspecies) G. c. canadensis  and the the Canadian Sandhill Crane, G.
c. rowani .

Troy Ettel
State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
P.O. Box 40747
Nashville, TN 37204
(615) 781-6653
Troy.Ettel@xxxxxxxxxxx

>>> Edburkekc@xxxxxxx 03/07/02 10:08AM >>>

HI:
    I was interested to read about the cranes over Kingsport.  I was driving
throug h Mississippi about ten days ago and drove off the highway to the Sand
Hill Crane Nature Preserve there.  It was closed but I talked with a lady who
gave me a map and my wife and I set out to see them.  She said their cranes
do not migrate but stayed there all the time.  We drove for a nember of miles
seeing none at most of the places she marked.  Finally close to a site marked
we saw a couple walking around in a yard(field) by a house.  We were glad to
see those, my first.  If they stop off in the area, I would like to know
about it.
Ed Burke
Bristol
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958