[bristol-birds] {SPAMFILTER} Record Breaking Morning

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:11:13 -0400

Area Birders,
I am almost afraid to post the following for fear that many people will not
believe it. But believe me I saw every bird on this list in or around my
yard this morning. The cool temperature of 58 degrees may have been in part
responsible for my record breaking number of species, which was 47 with 29
of those being migrants.
Some of the more interesting species were an American Redstart, a
Black-and-white, 3 Blackburnians, a Black-throated Green, a Blue-winged , 3
Chestnut-sided Warblers, a Common Yellow-throat, a Northern Parula, a
Prairie Warbler, 16 Tn Warblers, 4 Yellow-throated Warblers, 3 Blue-headed
Vireos, 2 White-eyed Vireos, 11 Scarlet Tanagers, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, a
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 56 Cedar Waxwings, 3 Eastern Phoebes, 1
Great-crested Flycatcher, a Pileated Woodpecker, a Broad-winged Hawk, 9 Wild
Turkeys, and 1 Eastern Gray Squirrel. Following is the complete list.
For anyone who may doubt this list I say come visit and see for yourself.
I love fall migration!

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County

American Crow 1
American Goldfinch 13
American Redstart 1 (immature male)
American Robin 15
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Blackburnian Warbler 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Blue-headed Vireo 3
Blue Jay 1
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Broadwinged Hawk 1
Brown Thrasher 2
Carolina Chickadee 2
Carolina Wren 2
Cedar Waxwing  56
Chestnut-sided Warbler  ( 3 females)
Chipping Sparrow 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Eastern Bluebird 5 (3 males, 2 females)
Eastern Kingbird 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Eastern Towhee 3 (1 1st. year male)
Empid  sp 1
European Starling 25
Gray Catbird 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
House Finch 4
Mourning Dove 7
Northern Cardinal 4 (1 female)
Northern Flicker 3
Northern Mockingbird 1
Northern Parula 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Prairie Warbler 1 (first winter female)
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 (adult female)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 4
Scarlet Tanager 11 (One had orange under tail coverts)
Song Sparrow 4
Tennessee Warbler 16
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
White-eyed Vireo 2
Wild Turkey 9
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Yellow-throated Warbler 4

Eastern Gray Squirrel 1

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958