[Bristol-Birds] Rural Retreat Lake 3/22

  • From: Anita Huffman <housewren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:00:59 -0400

We did not get to see any Red-necked Grebes but had a nice day anyway.

1 Common Loon (at the shelter point)
4 Pied-billed Grebe
3 Horned Grebe (at the shelter point)
12 Canada Goose
7 Ruddy Duck
1 Canvasback
5 Hooded Mergansers, 3 males, 2 females
6 Bufflehead, 2 males, 4 females
4 Northern Shovelers, 2 males, 2 females

4 Lesser Scaup, 3 males, 1 female, ID'd by noting the purplish glint on the head when the sun hit it just right. They were not associated with the G. Scaup raft, they were over by the boat dock)

47 Greater Scaup, males and females, ID'd by noting the extended white on the wings of at least 10 individuals in the raft of ducks. They were on the highway side, just past the parking lot before the entrance. We walked out in the field and got very good looks at them.

26 A. Coots
2 Ring-billed Gulls

We also saw a pretty good-sized mammal jump out of the water. It was reddish and gave me the impression of a groundhog. It was swimming along under the water and just jumped up like fish do, then went back under the water. We couldn’t see it as it swam, just the wake. We later saw a muskrat that was much smaller and darker. This was just off the trail where you first enter the park area. It was flooded but I had my muck boots.

A very pleasant afternoon. We stayed until it was too dark to see birds.

Anita Huffman
Rugby, VA
Grayson Co.

--
The perfect perennial at affordable prices!
www.laurelhillnursery.com

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. --------------------------------------------------