[Bristol-Birds] Ruffed Grouse, Yellow-throated Warbler, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:51:00 -0400

April 2, 2006

Pressed for time today but hoping to find some new arrivals in Greene County, I visited the Cherokee National Forest in the southeastern part of the county for a short time at mid-day. I targeted Paint Mountain (PM) and Paint Creek Recreation Area (PCRA) specifically because both are found at low elevation and offer mixed second-growth forest with significant concentrations of hemlock and rhododendron. This kind of habitat is good for several species of vireos and warblers and is one of the most likely places to find neotropicals in early spring. It's also a great place to look for butterflies at this time of year. En route to the sites, I also checked a few fields and farm ponds.

Results of my brief trip were good, both for birds and for butterflies. I found a large variety of the former, including some permanent residents and winter residents. Butterflies, especially duskywings, were abundant. Here are the highlights:

Northern Shoveler (Cartwheel Road);
Ruffed Grouse (male drumming at the lower end of PCRA, about a quarter mile upstream from the French Broad River);
Wild Turkey (PCRA);
Hairy Woodpecker (PM);
Blue-headed Vireo (6 PM, PCRA);
Golden-crowned Kinglet (2);
Brown Thrasher (5);
Black-throated Green Warbler (5 PM, PCRA);
Yellow-throated Warbler (PCRA; a tough species to find in Greene County; lower PCRA is a likely nesting site);
Louisiana Waterthrush (PCRA);
Pine Warbler (3 PM);
Chipping Sparrow (9 singing males);
Purple Finch (5 Greeneville).

Butterflies--

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (PM, PCRA);
West Virginia White (PM, PCRA);
Falcate Orangetip (PM);
Spring Azure (PM, PCRA);
Silvery Blue (PCRA);
Eastern Comma (PM);
Silver-spotted Skipper (PCRA);
Horace's Duskywing (PCRA);
Juvenal's Duskywing (PM, PCRA);
Dreamy Duskywing (PM).

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia