[Bristol-Birds] Rough-legged Hawk, Eurasian Collared-Dove, thrushes, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 23:43:32 -0400

October 7, 2006

Greene Co., TN: Wal-Mart Distribution Center (WMDC), etc.

I birded quite a bit in Greene County today, with good results.  I began at
WMDC before dawn and stayed until about 8:00 a.m.  At that point, I joined
several members of the Greeneville Chapter of TOS for an outing in the northern
part of the county, near Baileyton.  In the afternoon and evening, I visited
numerous backroad spots elsewhere.

Highlights:

Canada Goose (492, mostly at WMDC)

Wood Duck (39 WMDC)

Blue-winged Teal (7 WMDC)

Green-winged Teal (22 WMDC)

Pied-billed Grebe (2 WMDC)

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Red-shouldered Hawk (juvenile, near Mosheim)

Rough-legged Hawk (dark-morph bird on Glenn McAmis Lane, near Baileyton; also
observed by Jim Faunce, Don Holt, Jim Holt, and Larry Routledge)

American Coot (2 WMDC)

Eurasian Collared-Dove (at intersection of Old Baileyton Road and Pine Loop, in
Baileyton; also observed by Don Holt, Jim Holt, Jo Anne Routledge, and Larry
Routledge; this new site for ECDO in Greene County is located about ten miles
northeast of the Mosheim location where the species has been observed for over
two years)

Barn Owl (WMDC)

White-eyed Vireo

Tree Swallow (165 WMDC)

Gray-cheeked Thrush (14 WMDC in nocturnal flock)

Swainson's Thrush (186--including 185 WMDC in nocturnal flock)

Tennessee Warbler

Magnolia Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Palm Warbler (2)