[Bristol-Birds] Ron Harrington shares Whitep-winged Dove photo taken Monday

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:58:47 -0400

White-winged Dove at Ron Harrington 20-21 April 2014.jpg

Ron Harrington managed to get this photo earlier Monday (21 April 2014) of
the

White-winged Dove which is coming to his bird feeder and was first found
late

Sunday perched near the feeding area.

Dr. Steve Hopp, an Adjunct Associate Professor at Emory & Henry College and
an

established and skilled birder of our region, was contacted by Harrington
and has seen the

photo.  Hopp, and two other former members of the Bristol Bird Club, Alice
Kirby and Carol Boone,

authored The Birds of North America Life Histories accounts for the
White-eyed Vireo

published in 1995 by The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia and The
American

Ornithologists' Union,

Hopp wrote Harrington:  "Thanks, very interesting! All of the doves appear
to be

expanding ranges, thought to be driven by urban expansion which mimics their

preferred habitat (savanna-like). The white-wings appear to have expanded
across

the South and are pushing further North. I think we should all keep an eye
(and ear)

out for them. Learning their calls might be helpful.

"The Eurasian Collard dove is really expanding-- there is a reliable
population in

Meadowview. I've been hearing them singing daily for the past few weeks.

"Here's an article on the dove expansions:

http://www.birdsource.org/Features/Doves/

And an article with white-winged calls:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/white-winged_dove/sounds

There are records for this species in the region.  We have records from the
Greeneville

area and Hawkins County not far from Rogersville as well as Claytor Lake in
Pulaski Co, VA

and perhaps others .  There are others records westward across Tennessee and
brids

elsewhere in Virginia.

JPEG image