[Bristol-Birds] Roan Mt report from "Carolina Birds"

  • From: <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 7:34:52 -0400

I gleamed the following report from Carolina Birds.  Pretty cool stuff
mentioned.

Rob Biller
Elizabethton,TN

-

Hi Folks,

Simon's note about his upcoming Roan Mt trips prompted me to let folks
know what is up there right now.

I spent half a day there this past Sunday June 10, and found it to be
quite birdy. Hermit Thrushes were singing at various locations including
  the high bluff area, Carver's Gap, and the sides of Round Bald. Pine
Siskins were flying around all over the place, no way to know how many.
Had one Red Crossbill flying around Carver's Gap also. On Round Bald,
had a singing Vesper Sparrow, they are not found there every year by any
stretch. Alder Flycatchers were noted at Carver's Gap and from Round
Bald to Jane's Bald, in the usual spots. At the beginning of the Bluff
Trail, had a non-singing Yellow-rumped Warbler, in the same place that a
pair has frequented the last couple of years. Had three different
Magnolia Warblers, one definitely on territory, one even got his picture
taken! These guys were at the Rhodo gardens area at the top. Also the
usual high elev stuff was present in good numbers - Red-br. Nuthatches,
Winter Wrens, Brown Creepers, Golden-cr. Kinglets, Canada Warblers, etc.

So if you want to get in some excellent high-elev birding, I heartily
suggest you checking out the Roan area in the next couple of weeks. Oh,
by the way, the Rhododendron is getting quite spectacular on the mt. and
balds!

Later, Ricky

Ricky Davis
Rocky Mount, NC